Friday, June 18, 2010

Surprises come in chains: New beginnings


I hadn’t heard from Jesse in three months. All Vishnu told me was that he had travelled abroad. He claimed he didn’t know exactly where. There was no way I could forget about Jesse. I knew deep in my heart he would come back to me. Even the song he gave me said so. Love wouldn’t disappoint me. I was playing with the necklace Jesse gave me when my mum walked into my room. She smiled and sat next to me on my bed. “Have you considered doing your Masters?” She asked with concern. “Your father was suggesting you go to his university. You will get a scholarship as well. What do you think?” She added. That was a good idea. I had been planning that for a while before the shooting. “Yea, I thought about it before. I will do some more planning and let you know what I come up with.” I replied. She was pleased…………

I couldn’t believe I was on a blind date! A couple of my friends had arranged for me to go on a date with a coworker of theirs. I had no idea about it till they both disappeared when we went to the movies. I didn’t like the idea at all but I couldn’t be rude either. He was nice, very nice. His sense of humor was amazing. I was beginning to feel comfortable. He was filling the space of emptiness I had hidden for so many years. What was I feeling? I decided not to let him have my number and that was easy because he never asked……………

I met Nana again. This time it was a complete coincidence. I was walking into a restaurant to get some lunch and he saw me. We ended up having lunch together and got even closer. This time I wanted to give him my number and I did. One night we went for a walk in my neighborhood. We wanted to buy kelewele actually. Just as we walked he put his arm around my shoulder, then he stopped, held my chin and kissed me. I closed my eyes and all I could see was Jesse. I moved back quickly. This made him feel uncomfortable. “I’m sorry, I have to go.” I said and run back home. He called after me but my mind was too cloudy to hear his voice. I was still in love with Jesse, I couldn’t be with anyone else………

I was getting more messed up each day. I enrolled to go for my Master’s at Westville University USA, where my father taught. I needed the change of environment, something to occupy my mind and concentrate on the stable things in my life! Maybe it didn’t work out with me and Nana but that was not good enough to give up. I left the country with regrets but also with hope to start over again. My father was so glad to see me. We had a lot of catch up time. I met up with some friends there as well. Everything was going on fine…………

One sunny day, I couldn’t help how much I missed Jesse. I called Vishnu to ask if he had heard from him. I forgot to tell him I was travelling even. He said he hadn’t heard from him still but I knew it was a lie. Then it hit me, why didn’t Jesse try to call me? Or at least send me a text. I kept my Ghanaian cell phone line active all the time. Maybe he didn’t want me anymore, or he had really died this time or found someone else! The negative thoughts were clouding my mind. I was on a bus going home from lectures. I closed my eyes and started praying. God has a way of calming me down and he did more than just that. When I got to my stop I got off the bus and there he was! I dropped my bag and my eyes opened as wide as they could go. “Excuse me, what time is it?” He asked with that his infectious smile. My legs were paralyzed. They just won’t move. He came to me and held me like a mother who had found her baby. His arms felt warm and safe. Once he was here I wasn’t planning on letting him go and I think he read my mind because he said, “This time I’m staying right here with you.”………………

Jesse went home with me and met my dad. He was surprised to know he was alive and he took the opportunity to tell both of us the whole story. I was more than glad to see him. I touched him a few times just to make sure it was real. When dad left us alone we were quiet for a moment. “So what now, are you going to run away again?” I asked eagerly. “I’m living in Mexico but now that you are here I might as well move into a place here. Can you help me find a good apartment?” He asked beaming. I smiled sheepishly and nodded. “If you had told me you were there I would have came here long ago”. I said. Jesse looked down, his expression changed. “Vishnu was supposed to do that. Remember the necklace I gave you, it was a key to a post office box which contained a letter with all my details. It also had money and an air ticket. He told me you rejected it and wanted to forget about me. I guess I was convinced when I heard you were seeing someone.” He explained. I told him all that Vishnu told me. I guess we were both played but he didn’t succeed. Somehow fate brought us together. “ ….so I let him fly and prayed he’ll come back to me coz I did believe that if I let me fly and he flew right back then it was meant to be……”

The End!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment