Friday, June 18, 2010

Surprises come in chains IV : Faith


Vishnu explained to me that Jesse was in hiding and couldn’t let anybody know. I understood perfectly but I wanted to see him myself. He changed his phone number to avoid being tracked but I needed to see him. I needed to know he was ok. That night he called me.

Jesse: Hi, I’m so sorry about how I disappeared. I felt so bad about the shooting. You could have been killed.
Me: Is that all you have to say? You made me feel like I was crazy, like it was all a dream. Why are you doing this to me?
Jesse: I never meant to hurt you. I’m so sorry. I can’t stand seeing you get hurt because of me. I’m going away for good this time. It’s for your….…our own good.
Me: What? You just show up after all these years and you are running again? You said you loved me? Can’t we find a way to be together?
Jesse: I meant every word I said but I won’t be able to live with myself if anything happened to you. Please don’t cry. I……..have to go. Take care of yourself.
I stayed up the whole night, thinking about the only man I loved. There was no way I was going to let him go! I had to come up with a plan. It was 12:20pm and my phone rang. It was Vishnu he finally got Jesse to meet up with me one ‘last’ time. I changed my clothes as quickly as I could and rushed out of the house without even informing my mum………

We met at Vishnu’s apartment. I had to make sure I wasn’t followed. I parked a few blocks to his place and passed the short cut to his house. It was a quiet and cold night. The anxiety I felt was at its peak. Vishnu opened the door for me. I walked inside and there he was, Jesse Kwame Milton, staring at me with something in his hand. I couldn’t help it; I burst out in tears as I hugged him. He wiped my tears away and held me even closer. “You don’t know how much I wish this nightmare was over.” He finally said. Vishnu left us alone. There was so much I wanted to say but being with him seemed to cloud my mind. I remembered the necklace. “Hey, you dropped this.”I said with a giggle. He took it from me and smiled. “I got something for you too.” He said and handed me a small box he was holding. I opened it and it was also a necklace with a little key locket. It was so pretty. I wore it immediately and gave him a kiss to show my appreciation. He didn’t seem to want to stop but he finally did and said in a low and gloomy tone, “I need to go now. I can’t say when next you will hear from me but you are always on my mind. I can’t tell you not to see anyone else; I guess that’s the right thing to do so yea I guess.” Vishnu came in with a little bag. My eyes were filled with tears. Jesse was leaving and there was nothing I could do. I had to so I just nodded as they walked out. I was to wait till Vishnu came back and then he would send me home. I realized it was true, that goodbyes were so hard……

When I got home I noticed there was an audio CD in the box the necklace was in. I slipped it into my laptop and listened to a song. I listened to the lyrics and fell asleep hugging my pillow with tears all over my sheets…. “I’m go’n let you fly and pray you come back to me coz I do believe if I let you fly and you fly right back then it was meant to be, so fly, fly fly”………


To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment