Monday, November 28, 2016

Jacky by Feranmi Olunloyo


My story takes place back in the day when you got close to a year off school after SSCE. A bunch of the guys had started studying for NOVDEC and others had gone to prayer camps. I didn't intend to do either. I wasn't particularly optimistic about my results but I knew I’d get through. So with SSCE finally out of the way and no teacher to try and tell me what to do, I could finally chase my true love.

The day after SSCE I started chasing my NBA dream. I picked up a new dress shirt for my big brother from a boutique and went to Aviation to play ball. There were a few high school grads like myself, some kids from international schools and a bunch of grown men. There was also a girl… a very pretty girl! She didn't seem that interested in the game and she wasn’t hiding it either. In a way, she seemed a little out place like she’d been bribed by a sibling or boyfriend to be there. My interest was piqued but for all my ravishing good looks (seriously I am) something about her stumped me.

The game started and boy was I having a good day. I couldn't miss and it was easier to catch a cat than guard me. I was putting on quite a show and trash talking anyone who stood in my way. After an hour of dominating on the court, I absentmindedly sat down close to the girl. I raised my head to coyly stare in her direction and I noticed she glanced in my direction more than once. Still full of confidence from the game I caught her eye and with a small smirk said; “You enjoy the show?"... Silence.... I do Yawa 😰.

Some of the other guys saw it…there was no going back now. I got up, walked over and said; "You know most people pay to see that" she smiled looked up and said; I’d like to see you do that with your guys in the states. I must have been that convincing, she thought I was an American baller! Of course, I was screaming in "American baller lingo" on the court a little earlier. So I said to her in pidgin; "You figure say I be Yankee boy... Chale I be Ghana boy" she laughed…hard. I was in! 💃💃💃.

So we began with the courtesies

Hi My name is Nii, what's your name ?
My name is Jacky

We spoke for about an hour, she was in form 6 at GIS. She was at Aviation because her younger brother was playing tennis. We hit it off quite nicely and spoke about everything hip then, from Destiny’s child's new album, to Cartoon Network shows. As the evening grew colder I pulled out the shirt I had picked up for my brother and gave it to her.

Do you do this often? She asked.
What? I replied
Pick up girls on basketball courts?

Smiling I said; No...not often...just about once a month 😎

She smiled back.

I wanted to ask for her number but I didn't  have a phone. We didn't even have a land line at home. What to do...

"I left my phone at home. Here's my number, flash me in like an hour "

"Alright, it's been nice talking to you Nii, here's your shirt"

"Naa girl ,common keep that. "

I lied , I gave her my big brothers number. He didn't  live with us , but he passed by after work before he went home every evening and I was supposed to have his shirt. Now I had to time this perfectly. I had to get home , avoid my brother because of his shirt  and yet somehow steal his  phone, get her number , tell her not to call on his number again and find some other number to give her.

I pretty much pulled it off. I told my brother I'd get his shirt the next day and asked to borrow his phone. She called and I told her that I was giving the phone away to a relative in the village and would be getting a new one in a few days time. I told her till then I would call her with different numbers.

Lots of lies told but hey what choice did I have, she was and IS( international school) girl , I practically went to cyto after dashing her a Perry Elis shirt and posing Yankee baller, how could I not have a phone.

I didn't have much money, I  used most of my money to buy my brother his shirt back (Why he couldn't by a cheaper brand I don't know) . I had a little money left over so I bought  a SIM card. I put it in my brothers phone a few days later and texted  to tell say that was my number. She called back immediately  and we spoke forever. I knew I wouldn't be able to reciprocate, so I told her I had a new job at a construction site that  kept me busy all day  , so I would be texting more than calling.

We  met at least once a week at Aviation. Sometimes I didn't play.  Sometimes her brother  didn't come. She brought me ham sandwiches and Sunny D, I brought her Sobolo and bofloat. I talked to her about most things and so did she.

One day while we were talking she asked why I lied to her so much. I was shocked. What?? me ? Lie??? . Apparently, after we spoke the first day she mistakenly called my big brothers number and he called back . She had known for weeks about my  my deception. She hoped I would come clean but I never did.

I left her that day and never put the sim back in another phone. I was too embarrassed. I knew she'd be going to college in the States in a couple of weeks. So I stayed away from Aviation for a little over a month. She didn't know where I lived so she couldn’t show up at my doorstep . I think she got the message. Thinking back it wasn't a big deal, I should just have come clean then and there but my 17 year old pride and insecurities  wouldn't let me. Ah well , such is life. That's how that one got away.




Feranmi my 3rd guest blogger is an awesome basketball coach who loves writing. Even though he doesn't write stories very often when he does its always an interesting piece. If you are into basketball like me you will definitely love his blog. Here's the link https://ferodynamisms.wordpress.com

1 comment:

  1. Shs crushes go just like they come haha. Nice story. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete