Wednesday, July 7, 2010

My Window-Shopper


She walked passed the store every evening. Between 5:30 and 6:00 to be precise. It was almost like a deja vu, each time she would reduce her pace and turn to the glass window, stare as she works and occassionally stop halfway. Take a better look at the mannequin and walk off again. At first it was annoying but I guess I got used to it after a while and before I knew it, I looked forward to seeing my 'window shopper' everyday.

She was never with anybody, she always walked alone, sometimes with her earphones on listening to music. I never saw her in the mornings. My guess is she got to work before we opened the store. I could be wrong, but that's the thing about her, everything could be wrong. But one thing was certain, she liked to stare at clothes, especially little black dresses.

One Wednesday, this pretty lady didn't show up at all. I thought I missed her while I was talking to a client in the shop but I didn't see her the next day either. On Friday I was a little worried so I asked one of my fellow shop attendants if they saw her pass. (I wasn't the only one who noticed her) He said he didn't. A few minutes later, there she was striding down the side walk doing what she does best. I guess I was staring too much this time because she looked at me. I just smiled and she smiled back shyly and walked off as she always did."Hey, why don't you invite her in the next time? I think she likes you." Danny suggested that day after work. I shrugged but I thought that was a lovely idea and she did smile at me.

Time seemed to be very slow on Monday. I don't know why I was nervous. I kept looking at the time. Danny winked at me when the hour was near. "How hard could it be? All I had to say was, hi do you want to come in? That was it. Once she came in, I would ask her where she worked and we will move on from there. I may not be one of those guys who have got 'swagga' but I can make conversation.

My Window Shopper was not the drop-dead gorgeous type but there was something very attractive about her. She had her hair in a pony-tail most of the time. She dressed almost formal, usually in a simple short sleeved shirt and a pair of black trousers. Occasionally she would wear a skirt to show off her lovely legs. There was something about her not 'made-up' face, or was it her eyes that seemed to tell a story. Sadly in a language I couldn't understand.

There she was, outside the shop. There was something wrong, I could feel it. She was walking faster this time. I quickened my pace to the door. She didn't turn to look at all. I wasn't going to let her walk away. "Excuse me!" I called after her but she just kept walking. She didn't even turn. For some strange reason, I yearned to know her more.

She didn't show up for the next couple of weeks. I couldn't believe it. Was she avoiding me? Maybe she didn't like poor shop attendants but I needed to hear it from her own amazing lips. Danny managed to find out her new route and one Tuesday I was waiting for her at the bus stop. I saw her approach and waited patiently. I didn't want to scare her off. There was no car around so she sat down next to me, without noticing who I was.................

Here is where you come in. Help me finish my story. What would you like to happen?..............

2 comments:

  1. AN u said Hi n dat started a conversation n realised u two had so much in common! I love this!

    ReplyDelete