Friday, December 15, 2017

Broken 5


As I packed my things into my wardrobe I saw a call from Pablo. I smiled as answered his call. My smile faded immediately I realized the voice wasn't his. "Hello madam please do you know a Pablo Ortiz? He is currently on admission at St. Patrick hospital." A lady said. My heart skipped a beat. I grabbed something to wear and sped to the hospital as fast as I could.

When I got to the hospital I spoke to the receptionist who was the one called. She directed me to his doctor's office. I was asked to fill some forms by the doctor. I told him our workplace had insurance but unfortunately Pablo didn't have his card on him so I paid the bill. "We have discharged him so you can help him get home. He's fine but it's just a precaution we are taking." The doctor said showing me to his ward.
When I entered Pablo's room he gave me a half smile.

"Somehow I knew you would be the one to come." He said putting on his shoes. I sat down on the chair in front of him. "How are you doing? I had a serious scare when they called. What happened?" I said. He looked quite fine but just a bit not himself. "It's nothing, I passed out because I haven't had a meal since yesterday." He said. I stared at him. "What? Are you serious? Why haven't you eaten in that long?" I asked. He giggled and said I sounded just like his mother. Then he changed the subject. I realized he wasn't comfortable talking about the topic and really wanted to leave the hospital so we left.

I took him to his house. He kept saying it wasn't necessary but I joked about the doctor telling me tuck him in bed before I left. His apartment was really nice. It was small but very cozy. I went straight to the fridge and saw opened it. To my surprise it was fully stocked. "Goodness, you have all this good food and you are not eating?" I said out loud. Pablo shrugged. "Don't worry it won't happen again. I was working on some crazy project and got carried away." He said. I shook my head and sat down next to him on the couch. "I don't want to sound like your mother so I won't say anything about this anymore." I said. Pablo nodded and smiled. He picked up his remote and turned on the TV. He flipped through a number channels and landed on a movie channel. "You have make up on. Did you have to leave some fancy place to come get me?" He asked. I shook my head.

I told Pablo I had a date but he rescheduled. "A date? Ouch." He said. I asked him what he meant by that. "The other night you said you weren't ready to date anyone. I guess what you meant was I wasn't good enough for you huh?" He said. My jaw dropped. "No, it's not like that at all. Oh the guy..." I started but Pablo giggled and told me he was just messing with me. I calmed down a little and told him Kevin was my ex and how I thought we were going to get back together. There was something about Pablo that made chatting with him so easy. He was a perfect listener and unlike most people I knew he didn't judge me.

I told Pablo about Kevin, how we broke up and how I thought he wanted us to work things out when I met him at his place. When I was done I felt I had said too much. I didn't know how Pablo would react, after all he did try to kiss me once. But then again that day we both had a lot of drink. "He definitely likes you. He wouldn't reach out to you if he didn't. He's probably scared he'll get you caught up in more drama that's why he's moving away from you." Pablo said, sipping on a glass of water. I smiled, he was probably right. It made the most sense. We kept talking for about 2 hours.

Just when I  Kevin sent me a text."He wanted to know if I was upset about rescheduling. When I smiled Pablo guessed it was him. He leaned over and read the text. He snatched my phone and started typing a reply."Hey Pablo what are you doing?" I asked trying to get my phone back. He giggled and gave me back the phone when he was done. "I sent the coolest reply." He said. I shook my head and read what he typed. It read, "No it's fine. I'm just leaving one of my coworkers place to go home." I looked up Pablo. He was still giggling. "It's not like it's a lie. He'll ask you who it is soon." Pablo said as we walked to my car. He was right. Kevin asked if it was 'the white boy'. I asked Pablo what to say and he said to say yes so I did. I shook my head again and put my phone in my bag. We said our goodbyes and I drove off.

When I got home I noticed I had missed some calls. They were all from Kevin. I was just about to call him back when I heard a knock at my door. I looked at the time. It was 9:18pm. I wondered who it was. I opened the door and to my total surprise it was Kevin!


To be continued....
If you liked this story please click the follow button on the panel on the right. Thank you 😊 

1 comment: