Monday, December 11, 2017

Broken 4


Kevin sat down next to me. He had with him a bunch of papers. I was wondering what they were. "I haven't been straight with you. I haven't been fair to you and it kills me.You deserve better." He said. The girl you saw here the night we split is my ex girlfriend. She told me she was pregnant and the baby was mine. I didn't believe her so I took her to a hospital to be checked. It was true. She was pregnant." He said and passed me an ultrasound photo, then he went on. "I wanted to have a DNA test to be sure it was mine. I don't trust that girl. Why was she now telling me? She said she didn't want to have the baby in Ghana so we arranged for her to go to outside the country. The day you were here with Daisy she was coming for the ticket. The flight was later that day. I was a fool. I should have told you everything. I just thought she was lying and if I had proof she would go away." He said rubbing his eyes. I was shocked. The information I was receiving was too much. "Children are a gift from God no matter when they come." I said.

"I paid someone to have a paternity test and I was right it was not my baby." He said handing over a paper to me. It was the results from the paternity test. Kevin was not the father of the baby. "I didn't tell you about this because I don't ever want to drag you into my past life. But when I saw you last night I felt you needed to at least know the truth." He said finally looking into my eyes. His eyes were a little teary. I moved closer and hugged him. The familiar perfume on his neck made me smile. "When I agreed to go out with you I knew what I was signing up for. You should have told me." I said tearing up as well. "You are too good for me Mag." He said. Then he leaned in and kissed me. I felt the butterflies like I used to. Nothing had changed.

The next day during lunch time at work Daisy didn't come to get me for lunch as she used to. I guessed she was still mad at me from the phone call. I still had a lunch partner though. It was Pablo. He asked me to show him a good Ghanaian food spot. I took him to a chop bar not far from the office. He enjoyed the fufu and his face turned pink as he drank the spicy soup. It was like we had both forgotten about the kiss from the other night.

After work I planned to have dinner with Kevin. It wasn't really a date even though it felt like we had patched up nothing was really official. I saw Daisy busy looking for her car keys and decided to talk to her. Maybe even apologize for the other day. "It's in your cup." I said, walking to her desk. She looked up at me and said nothing. Then she peeped into her cup on her desk and found her car keys. "Thanks." She muttered. I immediately dropped my apology. Daisy sighed and asked if I wanted a ride. That was her way of saying I was forgiven.

As Daisy drove me home I told her about my visit to Kevin's place. She was mute the whole time and then the unapproving comments started. "Why is he NOW telling you this? Doesn't it sound suspicious that when he sees you having a good time with another man now he feels he needs to tell you the truth?" she said. I shook my head. "Well, I remember the day we broke up I didn't give him the chance to explain." I replied. Daisy shook her head. I could tell she was holding herself from saying something. Surely it would have been something negative. I wasn't saying Daisy didn't have a point but she was married to the love of her life. I thought Kevin was the love of my life too. I deserved a chance to be happy with him too.

 When I got home I walked to my wardrobe to pick something to wear for my dinner date with Kevin. I found the perfect dress and put it on my bed. When I was done taking a shower I texted Kevin to ask if he would pick me up or he wanted me to meet him there.

A few minutes after my text Kevin called me. "Hey Mag, I'm so sorry I didn't call you earlier. Something came up. Can we have dinner on Friday instead?" Be said. I told him it was fine and made an excuse about having work to do anyway which was a lie. I was upset. When I ended the call I looked at the blue dress on my bed and asked myself what I was doing. I remembered Daisy's comments. She did have a point. If it was as simple as that why didn't he tell me. Even after that night he could have said something. Here I was again wondering how important I was in his life.

To be continued...
Don't forget to follow my blog on the panel on the right so you get instant notifications when there's a new post :)

1 comment: