Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Rift 3


The next couple of days at work was a bit busier but still mostly introducing me to projects that have been completed and or were pending. I made a few more friends from my department. Steven was still my main buddy though. He brought up Nina's party again to make plans one day and I confessed everything to him. "Huh? You and Nina aren't talking?" he asked. I shrugged and he stared at me. "What happened, did she do something?" he finally said. I tried to remember why Nina and I grew apart but nothing was coming to me. "I don't even know, I think we both seemed to like different things at some point," I said. I remembered a few times when Nina invited me to hang out with some new friends of hers. I wasn't comfortable around them at all. They smoked weed like it was water and had some kind of free spirited recklessness I couldn't relate to. Nina had always been wilder than me but this was a bit extreme even for her.
"Look, that was in the past. I have a plus one invitation and Selina is out of town so we should definitely go together," Steven said. It was really thoughtful of him but I must confess I was a little disappointed to hear that he had a girlfriend. A party really sounded fun but I was just not sure if it was a good idea. "Text her if you don't want it to look like you are gate crashing. Just rekindle your friendship and let's chill. She's having the party at The Havana. Have you heard of that place? It's awesome!" Steven said with a big smile. At this point it was impossible to say no so I agreed.

When I got home that night Alex was fast asleep. I joined Kuukua and Ben in the hall to watch some TV after my dinner. I took out my phone during a commercial break and texted Nina. "Hey, hope you are good," I typed and sent it. There was no reply for some minutes so I decided to go on. "I'm in Accra now, got a job here. I heard from a little bird that you are having a party tomorrow," I sent that too. Then I noticed my messages had been read but still no reply. I sighed and put my phone away. A few minutes later my phone beeped. I picked it up and she had replied. "Hey Afua, you are in Accra now? That's so cool. Yes I am. I'm so busy with the party planning. Since you are in town are you coming?" She said. I gave a half smile. "Who's making you smile like that? It better not be Fii." Kuukua asked, looking straight at me. She never liked my ex. I just shrugged and replied the text. "Sure, I met Steven for uni and he said he's coming so I will probably be there with him," I texted. The next reply came quickly. "Awesome! See you tomorrow. I'm really tired now so goodnight." I said goodnight and then I realized I had to pick an outfit to wear, yikes!

Steven and I got to The Havana around 9:30pm the next night. He made me feel so underdressed in his black and gold kaftan. He had a neat haircut which was also amazing. I remembered why I had a crush on him back in school. "Next time give me tips on what to wear ok?" I said when we entered the party. He giggled as we walked to the cocktail bar and said I looked beautiful. The place was really something else with huge chandeliers, expensive lounge furniture in various corners and a beautifully lit dance floor. The music was great too and people seemed to be having a good time. We spotted a few mutual friends and had some chit chats.

The food and drinks at the party were amazing! I expected nothing less from Nina. She had always loved the extravagant life. "Steven!" Someone called from behind us. We turned around recognizing that familiar voice immediately. It was Nina. She looked even more sophisticated than Steven. She had long expensive hair flowing all the way to her butt and her makeup made her look like a runway model. She smiled at us and hugged both of us together. "Oh my goodness Afua, it's been forever!" She exclaimed. I smiled and nodded. "I'm so glad you could make it. How's the party, you guys having fun?" Nina asked. Before we could reply a lady walked up to Nina and whispered on her ear. She nodded at her and turned to us. "My personal assistant just informed me of something I need to take care of. I'll be right back." She said and walked away. I stared at her as she left and realized how different she had become. Her smile didn't seem genuine at all. For some reason I didn't feel like she wanted me around. Even though I wanted to leave, I could tell Steven was having a good time.

I noticed there was a pool at the back of the party venue. It looked like a quiet place with just a few people sitting there chatting. I grabbed a cocktail from one of the waiters and went to the pool. It was quieter there. The fresh air was also very refreshing. In a distance I saw a guy smoking on one of the lazy chairs.


To be continued... 

No comments:

Post a Comment