Emotionless 8

3:36 PM

Just then there was another knock on the door. My heart was pounding. Did he know I called Samira or was he coming back to threatened me? I walked slowly to the door and opened it. Luckily for me it was Edem. I breathed a sigh of relief. He asked if I was ok from the previous night. I looked around and dragged him inside locking the door behind me. He found that a bit weird and asked me what was going on. I wanted to tell him. I really did but I couldn't tell him anything without him knowing what I did for a living. I was too ashamed so I looked for a lie to tell.

"So about last night eh, I'm very sorry. My cousin and I had a fight because I said some things to his wife that made her angry with him. " I lied. Edem shook his head."He said you were his girlfriend. I really don't want to pry into your life. I just want you to know that you don't have to lie to me." Edem said. I shook my heard trying to go on with my story but he held my hands and looked me straight in the eye. "You are an amazing person. It's ok to make mistakes, we all make them Lin. It's what you do next that matters." He said. He broke all defences with that single sentence. I sat there holding hands with Edem. Maybe it was what happened with Coleman the other day, maybe it was his father's demands or maybe it was how scared Samira sounded. Whatever it was it made me cave in and I started crying. Edem didn't stop me from crying. He held me as I made his shirt soaked with tears. I certainly needed it.

"Don't you have to be at work?" I asked as my face dried up. I liked having him around but I knew he had an actual job unlike me. "I do but today I'm on the afternoon shift so don't worry about me. I'm hear to help you get through this." He said. I hadn't received this kind of kindness in a long time.

Edem could easily have taken advantage of my vulnerable state and have his way with me but instead he wanted us to talk. I couldn't help feeling more attracted to him. The more my feelings for him grew the harder it was to tell him the truth. I was afraid he would reject me. He was too nice for my rotten life so I twisted the truth. "You are right, Coleman is not my cousin. I met him last year and fell for him. He didn't tell me he was married until recently. Then I fell for his trick. He kept telling me he was divorcing his wife to marry me. That's why I told you he was my cousin. He made me promise to say that to everyone. Last night I told him I wanted out and we had a fight. That's when you met us at my door." I lied. Edem nodded. He looked convinced that I was telling the truth. "So last night we talked and I told him that unless he really had a divorce I wasn't going to entertain him anyway." I added. "You did the right thing. I' m proud of you." Edem replied.

Edem went on to give me some useful advice on how to avoid Coleman if he tried to "trick" me again. I listened and nodded. When he was done he said I needed fresh air so we walked to a café nearby and had something to eat. He told me jokes to cheer me up. I was laughing my head off and almost forgot about Coleman's father. Then I received a text from him. It was like he was watching me and wanted to sick the fun right out of me. The text read, "I think you have had enough time to think about my offer. If not then you have until 3pm. Time is of the essence." I turned cold immediately but pretended it was a piece of fruit I was eaten that was sour. Edem didn't notice I was acting. He just giggled. We were at the café until it was time for Edem to go to work. He rushed to his car and drove off. Then I walked back to my apartment alone. I used that time to do a lot of thinking.

When I got to my apartment I had decided. I picked up my phone and called General Coleman. I told him I was ready for his assignment. "Wonderful, I knew you were a smart girl. Tomorrow one of my men will pick you up and take you to your new apartment. He will make arrangements to move your belongings. I will contact you later." He said and hung up. All sort of ideas run through my head. Why was he doing this? Why me? How dangerous was he? I had no answers. Besides the chaos I realised how much I was going to miss Edem. I decided to spend the night at his place. Knowing how principled he was I needed a good excuse. I sent him a message to let me know when he got home.

I spent the rest of the day packing my things. My clothes, bags and shoes were the majority. The apartment came pre furnished so I didn't have too much to pack. I heard my phone ring and knew it was Edem.  I answered it and told him I was coming over. When I got to his place he was cooking something very nice. I sat down and we had dinner. He assured me that I could talk to him whenever I wanted to get something off my chest. I nodded and smiled. I wished I could tell him everything. After dinner he brought out some wine and set up a movie for us to watch. My frustration drove me into over drinking. I couldn't help it. In no time at all I blacked out.


To be continued... 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Sweet. I can't imagine where this is going. Honestly this twist took me by surprise

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts