Emotionless 7

1:17 PM

Coleman overslept and had to rush out the next morning. He did something very strange when he was leaving. In all his rushing he stopped and kissed my forehead. He had never done that before. When he was gone I took my bath and got ready for work. Just before I picked up my bag to leave I heard a knock at my door. My heart skipped a beat. I hadn't planned what I was going to say to Edem yet. I contemplated pretending not to be around but that would only make things worse. I took a deep breath and opened the door.

To my surprise it wasn't Edem. An elderly man who looked like he was in his late 50s stood there. He was wearing a grey suit and glasses. "Hello, are you Linda?" He asked. I nodded and he politely asked to come in and have a word with me. I let him in and he sat down on the couch. He looked around my apartment for a while and finally turned to me. "My name is General Fred Coleman my son is the man you have been hosting in your apartment." He said in a very straight forward tone. I wasn't sure what to say. My heart instantly started pounding. What was Coleman's father doing here?!

"My son was here yesterday wasn't he?" Fred Coleman asked. I nodded and he shook his head. "It looks like you are going somewhere so I will make this brief. You will not entertain Coleman anymore. I know he gave you lots of gifts for your services but you shouldn't worry about that. If you do as I say you will get more." He said. I stared at him blankly and he went on. "His marriage is very important. I see that he can't get himself to stop seeing you so I will want it done the other way round. Last night I did some thinking about it. If you even left him I doubt his marriage will still hold so I'm going to give you a job." the way he talked commanded so much authority. I could see why Coleman desperately wanted to please him. Somehow I wished my father cared this much about me.

"Sir I'm sorry about me and Coleman..." I started but he cut me off. "I'm not here for apologies. From what I hear you are a clever girl. Will you do my job or not? Maybe you want to hear what you will get? I will get you a new apartment, bigger and better than this and give you 3000 cedis a month for the period you will be working for me. If you impress me I will double it." He said. My heart started beating faster. I almost agreed but I thought first. "What job is this?" I asked. He removed his glasses wiped them and put them back on. The suspense killed me. "My daughter in law is not very marriage material. I am she's a spoilt child and that's really why my son doesn't go home at night. I want you to teach her how to please my son." He replied.

I almost choked and was in a brief state of denial. "Sir I'm not sure I know..." I started and he raised his palm to stop me. "I know Samira well and you are by all means one of her best. Don't disappoint your madam." He said, getting up to leave. He dropped a call card on my center table. "Call me when you are ready to start. My son must never hear about any of this or even that I was here." He said as he walked out. I saw him to the door and watched him leave with another man that looked very much like a body guard. I quickly locked the door behind me and tried to sink everything in. "How did he know who I was or even Samira? Had he been aware of this all this time?

I skipped work that day. I was tempted to call Coleman and tell him what happened but I knew his father meant business. I picked up my phone and called Samira instead. She could tell I was nervous almost immediately. I narrated the whole story to her. When I was done her silence scared me. Samira always had something to say and most often laughed at serious situations but this time she was too quiet for my liking. "General Coleman, hmm Lin do what he says you should do." She finally said. "Samira I don't even know the woman. How am I supposed to teach her how to be a good wife? Who even does that?" I complained. "Lin listen to me, General Coleman is a very dangerous man. Don't do anything to offend him. The fact that he mentioned my name is even a warning to me. Do what he wants and do your best. Do you hear me?" Samira said sternly. I was speechless. I agreed and hanged up. What had I gotten myself into?


To be continued... 

You Might Also Like

6 comments

Popular Posts