Crash 4

7:10 AM

I honestly didn’t feel like talking. We both never said anything till we got to his place. His apartment was nice but far from my concentration. Steve was still calling. I turned my phone off and sat down on the sofa. Mawuli turned on the TV and air-condition and walked to the kitchen. He came back with a bottle of water and a glass. “Ermm would you like something to eat?” He asked handing the water over to me. I shook my head and took the water. I put it on the table and stared at it. I was thinking about the girl I saw in Steve’s car. What did she have that I didn’t have? She was slimmer than me. Maybe that was it. “Am I fat?” I asked. Mawuli was changing the channel on his TV. “What?” He asked. I sat up straight and asked the same thing again. “No, but why do you ask?” He said, looking at me funny. I turned away and he just sat there quietly.

After 10 minutes of changing channels and looking at me occasionally, Mawuli turned off the TV. He walked to the corner of the living room and pulled out an ipod connected to some speakers. He selected a song and came to stand in front of me. I recognized the song immediately. It was old! I smiled weakly and watched him dance. He was doing the popular dance of that time. “Forgive me oh but my bones are not as young as they used to be.” Mawuli said laughing and dancing at the same time. I laughed out loud and shook my head. “You are doing it all wrong!” I said, standing up. He kept dancing in the silliest of ways. “It’s like this.” I said and did a few moves. “Wow, apparently your bones haven’t aged.” He said clapping for me. He moved closer and stood next to me, imitating the dance. I laughed and showed him how it was really done!

We both got exhausted in no time. “What do you have to drink except water?” I asked panting. Mawuli was breathless too. He pulled my hand up and led me to the kitchen. It was so beautiful. He didn’t have expensive appliances but the choice of colour and simplicity was awesome. There was a dining table set with just 4 cute chairs. He opened the fridge and I saw the drinks available. I pointed to a bottle of coke. He pulled it out and brought two glasses. I saw a bottle of Whisky on one of the shelves. “Do you have ice?” I asked, sitting on one of the dining chairs. He nodded and brought some out. I pointed to the Whisky and he looked at me funny. “Really?” He asked. “I know I didn’t drink back then but now I do, occasionally.” I lied. Mawuli nodded and brought the bottle down. I made my mixture but he drunk just coke. I took my first sip and the after effect was hot! I tried not to frown but unfortunately I did. Mawuli giggled. “You are doing it wrong.” He teased. “Oh shut up.” I said and poured some more. This time with more coke. This time I took a sip first and it tasted way better.

I poured some more and tossed in some ice. “I’m so thirsty.” I said, drinking it down slowly. Mawuli was just staring. I noticed and turned to look at him. “Oh, aren’t you drinking some?” I asked surprised. “Nope, it’s more fun to watch you.” He said and smiled. I giggled and noticed my glass had only ice in it. I reached for the whisky bottle and Mawuli held my hand. “Let me get it for you. Haven’t you had enough?” He said opening it. I rolled my eyes. “Oh please. I don’t feel anything.” I said and put more ice into the glass as he poured some whisky and coke in. “Stop looking at me like that. Don’t you drink? Hmm?” I asked. Mawuli didn’t say a word. He stood up and led me back to the hall. “Unfortunately I’m gonna be the one to drive you home so I can’t.” He said and we both sat down.

I stood up and the room got a bit blurry. I shook a bit but pretended to have tripped on something. The drink was definitely beginning to take action. I wanted to look at the pictures on the wall. I leaned against a chair for balance. “Is this your wife and son?” I asked. Mawuli smiled and nodded. “Aww they are so cute. You know I should have stayed with you, like we would be happily married by now” I said. What?! That was supposed to stay in my head. I had had enough. I put the drink down and Mawuli giggled. “What’s funny?” I asked turning around very sharply and almost falling on the chair. “Whoa easy, easy.” He said and held me arm. “I think you need to sit down now.” He added, leading me to the chair. “No, let’s not sit. Let’s just stand here.” I whined putting my arms around his neck. Mawuli froze for a second and quietly looked at me as we drew closer to each other.


To be continued...

You Might Also Like

6 comments

Popular Posts